Survival Kits Home Kits Car Kits Office Kits School Kits Pet Kits Replacement Kits Emergency Kits Earthquake Kits Hurricane Kits Terrorism Kits Hygiene Kits Child Safety Kits Pandemic Flu Kits Roadside Kits Emergency Supplies Emergency Food Emergency Water Lights & Radios First Aid Shelter Sanitation Search & Rescue Terrorism Pets Pandemic Flu Emergency Preparedness Kit Recommendations Emergency Preparedness Kit Recommendations Compare Survival Kits

Disaster Preparedness News

Sizeable Earthquake Likely in the Central U.S., Study Says

Earthquake Disaster PreparednessA major earthquake of magnitude 8.0 or higher has a 7-10% chance of striking the United States as strain builds along a major fault near Memphis, Tennessee according to an article on livescience.com. The site of previous devastating earthquakes, the area is of particular interest as quakes along the fault are felt across a large area “Such a strong earthquake would rock the entire eastern half of the country and prove devastating to the local region”. While a 7-10% chance of occurrence may not seem very threatening, a destructive slightly lesser magnitude earthquake has as great as a 90% chance of happening.

The findings are alarming because they discredit some previously held notions. “The findings contradict a study in the 1990s, based on less data, that concluded the ground was not shifting and so strain buildup was minimal” (livescience.com). Rather, strain has been dangerously accumulating and the risk of an earthquake in region has been growing. More quakes are likely to occur along the “New Madrid” fault. The information from the U.S. geological study was released was released in the journal Nature.

The possibility of disaster to the area similar to that that struck California in 1994 is looming. Survivors of that quake can attest to the danger of even a 6.0 magnitude jolt. The devastation spread out over a large swath of Los Angeles County. Death and property loss and destruction were widespread. “A lesser but still damaging quake of magnitude 6 or greater has a 90 percent chance of striking in the next five decades” (livescience.com). Residents along the areas affected on the New Madrid fault should heed the warning of study and prepare themselves for the event of a natural disaster. An earthquake preparedness kit would be a wise purchase for anyone facing the threat of earthquake. You can learn more about which earthquake kits and Survival Kits you need to prepare for an earthquake by reading our earthquake preparedness guide. Unfortunately for too many people, new research shows that earthquake preparedness is a necessity of imminent importance in the Southern US states.

By Casey Kozoll
QuakeKare Press
December 18th 2006